Monday, January 3, 2011

Buttermilk Pudding Cakes

Welcome 2011!! Like every year I have made my new year’s resolutions. One of them has been leisure traveling.

Since I will not travel for work anymore (I am sooooo happy!!!!), I will start to travel for fun!

I already have plans to go to many places and visit many friends. Among my trips there is one very special that I hope to make very soon. I would like to go back to Little Rock, AR.

I have not been in Little Rock in long time. Visiting old friends and enjoying the well known southern hospitality seams like a great plan. I cannot wait to taste some of the southern classic meals and good baking.

For these festive days I have prepared a southern dessert. I baked buttermilk pudding cakes. The cakes are very simple, tasty and versatile.

I garnished the cakes with lemon curd (of course) I made the night before. The result is great!

The recipe is from the book “Simple, Fresh, Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor” from The Lee Bros.

I hope you like it!

Ingredients

Serves 8

3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

2 large eggs

3/4 cup whole or low-fat buttermilk

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

9 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature

Nonstick cooking spray

2 cups (8 ounces) fresh raspberries

Whipped cream, for serving (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 220º (425 degrees) with a rack positioned in the top third of the oven.

Sift together flour and baking powder in a large bowl. In another large bowl beat eggs until creamy and yellow. Whisk in buttermilk, vanilla, 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, and butter (mixture will look curdled and broken). Slowly add flour and whisk until batter is smooth and combined.

Spray 8 standard-size (3-ounce) nonstick muffin pan cups with nonstick cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin pan cups, filling about two-thirds full. Transfer to oven and bake until sides of cakes are evenly browned (check by inserting a knife tip between the rim of cake and muffin cup, pulling gently to expose side of cake), about 9 minutes. If cakes are not evenly browned, they will not hold together when inverted. Continue baking, checking every minute, until evenly browned.

Meanwhile, place raspberries in a medium bowl; add remaining 4 tablespoons sugar and gently toss to coat. Invert cakes onto eight individual plates.

7 comments:

toni_n said...

Happy New Year, Mariola!
I wish you to be healthy, happy and very smiling throughout 2011!
Greetings and kisses :)

La casita said...

Mariola corazón, pero si te han quedado ¡¡qué quitan el sentido!!

Besitos

isabel said...

Qué perfección!! apetece meter la mano por la pantalla!
Un besín

Mariola said...

Dear Tony!!!! Happy New Year to you! I wish you also all the best for 2011! Warmest Regards

Mariola said...

Hola Casita! Muchas gracias! Ya me alegro que te gusten!! Bsss

Mariola said...

Hola Isabel !! Dejame que mire en las aplicaciones del ordenador para ver si hay una en la que puedas meter la mano por la pantalla!! Menuda idea!! Bsss

Mónica LR said...

Pero que cosa tan deliciosaaaa!!!!
Feliz día de Reyes
Besos desde Deleitarioja